Having a hair transplant can transform lives, giving people huge amounts of confidence. This procedure involves healthy hair follicles being relocated to another area of the scalp where it is needed. Hair transplants can make such a difference, so ensure that if you are investing your time and money into having a one, don’t forget to do everything you can to make sure that it is effective. Before having the procedure, here are a few important do’s and don’ts to make sure that you have the best treatment possible!
Before Your Transplant:
- When deciding where to have your transplant, ensure you select a reputable aesthetic clinic, as they can offer a range of treatments to suit your needs in a safe environment. Certainly don’t select a clinic purely because its cheap as its likely to be ineffective and unsafe!
- Have a shower and wash your hair thoroughly before the surgery.
- Pack a change of clothes that can unbutton rather than having to come over your head.
- Make sure you feel completely comfortable with the procedure and ask any questions.
- Avoid smoking for as long as possible before and after the procedure, as the nicotine in cigarettes causes the blood vessels to harden and constrict as well as reducing circulation, which will cause a delay in the progress of the healing. This increases the risk of infection and scar tissue forming.
- Don’t take any medication that isn’t known by your doctor.
- Don’t cut your hair!
After Your Transplant:
- Listen to all the advice from your medical professional, as this information will be specific to your treatment.
- Keep your scalp dry for the first 24 hours after the transplant which will enable the skin to heal.
- Take good care of your scar. Itching and scarring are likely, but you should use any creams prescribed by your medical professional to deal with that.
- Sleep in a position that keeps your head as elevated as possible, especially for the first few nights so you don’t disrupt any growth.
- Avoid direct sunlight for at least a week after the procedure.
- Try not to touch the scalp as this can disturb healing processes.
- As mentioned previously, it is really important not to smoke for at least a month after the procedure to get the best results.
- Avoid exercise and hard work for at least a week, as sweating can disrupt the healing process, as well as saunas, steam rooms or swimming for at least three weeks!
- Don’t be disheartened when you don’t see immediate effects, as it can take up to a year to see the full effect, and when you do, you’re sure to be pleased.